Honors College International Study Scholarship
The University Honors College’s International Study Scholarship, made possible through the generous gift of Honors College alumni, support our Scholars’ participation in study abroad programs. The maximum award amounts are $500 for summer and winter session, $1500 for a fall or spring semester and $2500 for a full academic year.
- Applicants must be matriculated University at Buffalo students, enrolled full-time and in good standing in the Honors College.
- Applicants must have already applied for a study abroad or exchange program.
- Applicants must participate in an overseas academic program for full-time credit.
- Previous recipients of the Honors College International Study Scholarship may not re-apply.
- Preference is given to students participating in a University at Buffalo or other SUNY-sponsored program. Those enrolling in programs sponsored by other universities may also apply.
- Generally, preference is given to students participating in more extensive (duration) study abroad programs.
- Summer and winter session decisions, only, will take financial need considerations into account. Students must be Pell or TAP eligible or otherwise demonstrate significant financial need (documentation or evidence must be provided.)
- Applications from students who have never studied or traveled abroad are particularly welcome. Students are encouraged to study abroad in a country or region in which they have not already lived or studied extensively.
- Students who intend to return to UB for at least one semester following the experience will be given preference.
- Recipients must agree to assist in promoting international education and study abroad in the Honors College following their return to campus.
Applications (PDF) are due by 4:30 p.m. on April 1st for Fall and Summer Travel and November 1st for Winter or Spring Travel. The applications must be submitted in the Honors College Office and must consist of the following:
- Application Form
- Study Abroad Program Brochure
- Typed Essay Answers - Part D of the application
- A list of all Honors College Experiences (dates, credits, type)
- One Academic Letter of Recommendation (may not be obtained from Honors Council members or Honors College staff)
- Winter and Summer session applicants must attach proof of Pell/TAP eligibility. Applicants who are neither Pell nor TAP eligible must present documentation that demonstrates financial need.
The Honors Council will review all applications and make the award decisions. The decisions of the Honors Council will be final and will not be subject to appeal.Scholarship payments will be made directly to recipient’s University at Buffalo Student Account.
Please email Elizabeth Colucci or call 645-3020 for additional information.
Last updated: March 26, 2014 12:03 pm EST