Scholarship for Graduating Scholars
The Chen-kuo and Amy Chang Memorial Award
Honors College alumna Dr. Aileen Chang, School of Medicine and Biomedical Science, ’91, M.D. and School of Medicine and Biomedical Science, ’87, B.S. in order to pay tribute to her parents, Chen-kuo Chang and Amy Chang, has created The Chen-kuo and Amy Chang Memorial Award for a graduating Honors College senior pursuing a graduate degree in the medical research field, preferably with an oncology focus. The Award is a one-time grant of $1,000.00 and is non-renewable.
Dr. Chang decided to create this award to honor her parents because they both died of lung cancer at ages 50 and 72 years and neither smoked. Only ongoing medical research can cure similar cancer patients or at least improve their quality of life. She and her parents would be grateful to anyone who could offer their contribution to the cure for cancer.
Guidelines for applicants:
- The recipient is not required to attend UB for their graduate degree.
- The award shall only be made available to a graduating senior Honors Scholar that can demonstrate their intention to continue their studies in the medical research field (preferably with an oncology focus).
- Preference will be given to a student with financial need, demonstrates a strong passion/interest in medicine and research, has worked on medicine/oncology research as a student or had employment experience in medicine/oncology research, and/or is working on an innovative and novel medicine/oncology research project.
- Applicants must include an original essay in support of his/her expertise or knowledge and how he/she aspires to make an impact in the preferred field of medicine/oncology research. The essay should describe the student’s goals and how he/she may expect to contribute to his/her chosen field in a substantive way and cite relevant or specific examples of situations in which the recipient succeeded in reaching a significant goal(s) in the past.
- Candidates are encouraged to also submit supporting documents they deem appropriate, including: papers they may have written, a resume, letters of recommendation, etc.
- The application deadline for 2017 has closed. Please check back in early 2018 for updates.
Last updated: October 24, 2017 11:17 am EST