Honors College International Study Scholarship
The University Honors College’s International Study Scholarship, made possible through the generous gift of Honors College alumni, supports our Scholars’ participation in study abroad programs. The maximum award amounts are $500 for summer and winter session, $1500 for a fall or spring semester and $2500 for a full academic year.
- Applicants must be matriculated University at Buffalo students, enrolled full-time and in good standing in the Honors College.
- Applicants must have already applied for a study abroad or exchange program.
- Applicants must participate in an overseas academic program for full-time credit.
- Previous recipients of the Honors College International Study Scholarship may not re-apply.
- Preference is given to students participating in a University at Buffalo or other SUNY-sponsored program. Those enrolling in programs sponsored by other universities may also apply.
- Generally, preference is given to students participating in more extensive (duration) study abroad programs.
- Applicants’ current merit-based scholarships and need-based financial aid will be considered when determining the awards.
- Applications from students who have never studied or traveled abroad are particularly welcome. Students are encouraged to study abroad in a country or region in which they have not already lived or studied extensively.
- Students who intend to return to UB for at least one semester following the experience will be given preference.
- Recipients must agree to assist in promoting international education and study abroad following their return to campus.
Application materials are due by midnight on April 1 for fall and summer travel and November 1 for winter or spring travel. The application consists of the following:
- Online Application Form
- A List of all Honors College Experiences (dates, credits, type)
- Statement of Purpose essay (see online application form for details)
- Proposal to Promote Study Abroad Upon Return essay (see online application form for details)
Please note: All awards received by a student must be reported to the Office of Financial Aid. You will be notified if this award impacts your eligibility for other types of financial assistance. In most cases, your financial aid eligibility will remain unchanged due to the expenses associated with your study abroad.
The committee will review all applications and make the award decisions. These decisions will be final and will not be subject to appeal. Scholarship payments will be made directly to recipient’s University at Buffalo student account.
Please email Megan Stewart in the Office of Fellowships and Scholarships at email@example.com for additional information.
Last updated: April 12, 2021 12:07 pm EST